Friday, May 7, 2010

Is it God honoring or self honoring?

A question we ask ourselves... I often ask myself when I blog or post on the adoption boards a comment.... We ask the kids is this behavior honoring to God or does it honor you? Are you doing something that brings glory to you ? Are your motives self oriented or is God motivating you to do this? Are you the only one who gets a benefit from this action or comment?

One of my husband Paul' favorite verse of the Bible is from 1 Samuel 2:30 Those who honor me I will honor.....We try to help our children understand how important this is to walk a walk that is God honoring... even with your words and comments to one another.

Often I have seen adults struggle here... kids will get this easier at times than a grown up. Even Christians struggle with this ability to speak words of truth and wisdow but also honoring to the Lord.

I have been doing an "experiment" of sorts to explain this to our children.. as you have noticed I have blogged a lot lately... in an effort to see what interest it would generate as well as encourage others to seek the Lord's will in their lives. We use our blog as a way to share with family what we are doing and to share with others. We also use it as a ministry of sorts to encourage and promote something that is dear to our hearts and that is adoption - especially of the special needs children.

I have seen even in the adoption arena a sort of competition arise in our hearts... not just within me but most adopters and definitely adopters who have large families...It is like adopters want to "trump" one another and I personally do not like this competition and think it is not God honoring... As a family we have been sharing and reading the Word about this type of behavior we all get involved in and desire for it to be more encouraging towards one another instead of always trying to sound better than another or just as "good" as another. We each stand before God ourselves... we each choose today whom we will serve... we each have a choice to encourage one another or tear down one another or try to compete in ways that are not at all God honoring... and reflect a diff. heart inside of us... instead of the Love the Lord has placed in our hearts. I want it to be gone in my heart.... and I pray for me to respond to others in a pure and loving way... and not to let the ugly head of jealousy arise in me. I will be asking myself this question more often- Is it God honoring or self honoring ?

Because anything we have materialistically, or have been able to do or will do is all because of our amazing Lord... and it has followed our choices to be obedient to His will of adopting for our family. Thanks for letting me share something that has bothered me for awhile.......

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love that you have been blogging more. It is a great encouragement to me. Thank you for ministering to me in this way.

Shelley said...

I am loving your blog as well. And isn't it just like our enemy to attempt to turn any godly thing (like caring for orphans) into a form of idolatry if he can? I am not (currently) an adoptive parent, but it is the same old struggle in other forms. No wonder God told us to be "on the alert", and that we are not to be "ignorant of his schemes". Thank you for sharing so openly, and may continue to richly bless you as you care for His little ones.
Shelley

Kelly said...

You are right. And sadly, I can too easily find myself in those shoes of jealousy, esp. as things keep dragging on!

I pray about it, and I try hard to not let it get me... but that jealousy can sneak up on me. Sometimes, I just don't get on the computer at all...

I think it is fantastic that you are able to, and CHOOSE to adopt again! Not everyone would choose such a glorious, God exalting way of sharing all that they have been blessed with. You are a treasure! :)

Christie M said...

What a good and most excellent way to look at this life. God has called us each to a path that will bring HIM glory!
We are most satisfied in Him, when we are honoring HIM and our minds are firmly fixed on HIM.

Jeane, you are one of the most down to earth people, and that is wonderful. I love your humility and God honoring behavior. It is a fruit that is very evident in your life, as you blog, and as you reply on boards.
Any child that has the priveledge
to come into your home, will learn first off, that the Lord is the most important thing, and your household will serve the Lord.

They type of "competition" you speak of is in the church,(how many people attend your church) in home schooling circles (how long have YOU been homeschooling, is your 6 year old in high school yet, how many kids are you schooling at one time etc.) In the adoption world,(how many children have you adopted) and in the material world, (what do you have?, What kind of car do you drive) and in the Stay at home mom world, "how clean is your sink, bathtub, and is your laundry folded AND put away) LOL
It never ends!
It is refreshing to see a family that truly just enjoys each other.
AND especially a family that puts the Lord first in all things.

Penny said...

It's wonderful that you have the means to adopt, especially special needs and so many, and the heart to do it. I hate competition. Would love to adopt a baby with Ds. Not out of anything, but the desire to rescue a child from a life without a family. My husband is a good Christian, but at 55 and starting over at a new job, he's not on board with the idea. Not to mention, we've already raised six daughters and now have six grands, also. But if this is what God is calling me to do, please pray he shows him that.
I believe you have a blessed family, you and your husband as well as your 19, soon to be 21, children. :)
Also, love the new blog background. Very pretty! Have a wonderful Mother's Day x 24!!!!!

Ladybug said...

I love your blog and it is a inspiration to all. I hope to some day be a adoptive mother and a learn many things from you. Keep going