Yesterday early in the am we woke to our fire alarms going off and the smell of smoke. I was in a deep sleep as were most of the rest of the family.
I am thankful for :
Fire alarms that work
For a husband who checks the batteries in them often so they do work
For having taught my kids what to do when there is a fire
For watching my children....
As I came out of my bedroom I saw all of them quietly and patiently walking together downstairs and out the door to the tree out front.
I saw none of them carrying a stuffed animal or special blanket or toy ....
Instead I watched them all holding onto each other and helping one another to safety. The older girls and I were talking later about what we observed and how much the children really understand what is valuable...the lives of their sisters and brothers, their family.
I am glad it was nothing more than a burn in the heating system coil even though it was very scary for us...but , I feel blessed when I think of my children holding on to their most prized possession- their siblings.