Sunday, January 18, 2009

Where were you at midnite- we were at the ER


Yesterday was a full day for us all the way to the end... Paul and most of the kids were up at 6:15 to go to Ben's indoor soccer game. I was up and made a run to Walmart for some sausage for a tortellina- sausage soup for our lunch. We went to my dad's to visit and drop off Joseph and Isaac. My father came home from the rehab. home on Tuesday and my brother, Johnny has been taking care of him 24/7. He requires someone to be with him now. He came home worse than when he went to the hospital in early Dec.... He is 87 and has multiple medical issues all of which could end his life. So Joseph who has such a servants heart wanted to help. He was off of work and offered to spend the nite so Johnny could go home for the nite. We had the soup and bread for lunch with them and then left by 3 to get to a local skate/rec. center. A friend's church had rented it for 2 hrs and we were invited.... what a gift to us . It literally saved us 200 dollars if we had to pay. The kids had a blast... they had a huge indoor play-climbing area as well as the skate rink. We came home and I made dinner... we ate at almost 8pm by the time it was fixed and then Ben called ( he was at his friend, Daniels). He said he had an accident. My response was please tell me it was not in the car. It was not... thankfully. He and Daniel were playing with some nerf guns and Ben shot the ceiling and the sponge, nerf bullet hit his r eye... the iris was bleeding and his pupil was oblong. Thus we spent a few hrs at the ER. He has a follow up with the eye doctor Monday.... and we should know if he will have permanant damage or not. Since we already have a son who is blind and another son with just one eye... it was not a "horrible" thing to go thru for me. However for Ben he was quite upset that he could loose his eye over a "stupid" accident. His comment in the exam room was, "Mom, How quickly our lives can change." I will update after his doctor's appointment. For now he can't even read, watch tv or do the computer. He is off from work and has to sleep at a 30 degree angle... and we do 3 diff. eye drops some every 2 hrs.... So please pray for him.

3 comments:

Christie M said...

Oh wow! Jeane, I had to chuckle at your comment "it wasn't a horrible thing to me". I can actually identify with that statement. :)

When our oldest son was 7, a neighbor child duck taped a throw away paper and then hit our son in the eye with it quite hard. It caused the eye to bleed and when I finally got his eye open, instead of light blue, I was his eye filled up with blood. We rushed him to the ER and he and I and a doctor spent new years with Dixie cups of water offering "cheers". An eye team came in to see him, and said he would most likely lose his eyesight. We prayed..... he had to lay perfectly still for 10 straight days. (for a little boy this was awful, so he was fixated on a TV)

After the 10 days, they took off the bandage and the blood was slowly draining out. Just the bottom half was blood colored. It finally all dissipated. But his sphincter muscle was damaged. It was torn and they said it would be permenantly damaged, and was fixated, so he had to wear sun glasses when in the sun.
About 1 year later, I remember praying for the Lord to heal his eye. And guess what? He woke up one morning and his eye was perfect. I took him to the eye doctor and the guy looked at him very carefully and said, "I can't even tell his eye was ever damaged!
Praise the Lord!
We will pray for your son, and for your dad too. :)

mommajeane said...

Thanks for the prayers Christie. I am glad that other moms think like me at times.... I will let Ben read your comment and I am sure it will encourage him as well. Thanks for sharing.

relying on God said...

i'll be praying for Ben too!