Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 2 in Yambol







We visited Andrew (Dancho) 2 times today... this time we were outside. They brought him to us in a stroller since he really does not walk yet. He loves the motion of being pushed in the stroller which is good. When our son, Abraham came home at 3 yrs he did not... he loved us holding him and we had a great visit with him. He again tried to suck his thumb at times. When he is content he makes this sort of sound that is like a blow spit but no spit comes out. He did it all the time in the am with us... they said he just started making the sound the last 2 weeks and does it when he is content ... which is good that we are hearing it alot. He is more cuddly and sweet at each visit. We brought out an alphabet sound board and he would listen to it but had no exploration of it at all.. this too is something we saw with Abraham.... We had him in a swing by himself and on my lap outside and he really enjoyed that. When we came back at 4 they said he had thrown up and thought it was too much sun..so we played with him upstairs .. he was asleep in the stroller and so cute... they had combed his hair to the si de... we let sleep until he woke up and then we held him... we could tell he was not feeling the best... and tired. ... but he loved being held and cuddled...more each visit he has allowed us to touch and hold him. He loved Paul playing with him this am... we actually have a video of him laughing belly laughs...it brought tears to my eyes.



When we were up on his floor we walked and they showed us his crib... this floor was so very sad... his roomate in the crib next to him was even smaller than Dancho, he was in the fetal position and very white..like he was extremely anemic. The nurse rolled him over and his belly was swollen and he was not comfortable when I stroked him... they said he had seizures... in another crib was a child with hydrocephalus, another one was a darling little baby girl who cried when she was put in her crib... she has a heart condition. They fed her a bottle on the changing table by having her in a sitting position and not holding her.... then they put her in the crib... she cried ... Toni and I both wanted to go in and feed her the bottle.. these kids never get out of their cribs, or off the floor or outside... no wonder poor little Andrew ( Dancho) is severly delayed and malnourished.... I am sure that some of these children will not be alive when we return in a few months to pick up our kids...






I prayed and cried and felt what the Lord feels ... I know that we can do more for these orphans... I talked lots with the nurse on the floor... she was very sincere and has worked there since it opened 32 yrs ago... she said they do not have the staff... way understaffed...One caregiver at nite for 16 children who have major medical needs. I said can missionaries come and help.... she said yes..I would come back and be the arms to hold these children and rock them and change their diapers for a month... we could send a team here just to do that year round from churches if people really cared and walked what they say they believe. I am praying about what the Lord will have us do.... but I know that I will have a difficult time going to church when I return....I am really struggling with my fellow believers not just in my church but everywhere. Christians we can do more...... everyone one of us is comfortable, held, loved and fed and we must get uncomfortable , and help those orphans who are dying like these precious ones I met today... It was difficult and wonderful to be allowed to see these precious faces... at the same time... I will be their voice, I will pray for them and I will challenge each of us ... those who read my blog to do more... please seek the Lord's heart and ask Him what you can do and then do it.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so BEYOND EXCITED for you right now! Thank you so much for taking the time to share pictures and your experiences with us!!!!

Andrew is beautiful! My heart goes out to all the children you mentioned and to little Andrew, whose life will be much better once he is home with mom and dad!!

Chris Haven said...

You can sign me up to go on a missions trip and hold these babies. My heart aches, so sad...how old are these little ones?

Joe said...

Hey Mom and Dad...I love his smile...Sound like he loves Dad alot...We are praying for hes health and every baby they have in that Orphanage...You know me if you go to that Orphanage for a one month I will help to support you and who ever go on the missing feld...Count me to....Those children need help....We miss you and love you.....Have a good day at the Dancho orphanage and talk him that his brothers and sisters love him soo much............I LOVE YOU MOM AND DAD!!!!!!! Joseph

relying on God said...

chris and celeste said it best, 'my heart aches' for these children as well. They too will be in my prayers.