Wednesday, February 24, 2010

This is for my first group of children mostly...


My childhood home is being sold this week... we went to see it one last time this past weekend and I took these pictures for my memories.... My daddy died last May and my mom died the year before... and so now I am orphan... of sorts... even at the age of 53 it is very odd to not have my parents with me... they are always a part of me but I want to hug them, grab their hand and laugh again with them.... to say that I miss them dearly is true, I can barely let myself think of them ... I am usually one who is strong and faces the reality of things in life... but I am still a mess when I think about them and so I can't yet visit that too often or at least not when I am out in public or I would be a blubbering mess....
I was blessed to be born in a loving home.... my father as I shared before was a "daddy" and not just a dad. I have so many happy memories as I grew up... times shared in front of this fireplace, or outside helping my daddy to garden ( he was a green thumb and shared his love for growing things with me). Somehow helping him did not feel like work...he was a crazy and fun loving daddy that everyone loved.... all of my kids especially loved him. They too have many happy times in this home.... the yard was full of flowers and we played in the woods, had huge water battles with my dad ... even getting on the roof of the house to douse some unsuspecting victim.....he was a football coach at the high school and loved by many there.... he was a gift and I was blessed... the pool table in the basement was played with by many kids... the banging of the balls is a sound I remember fondly because the kids would play down there and race the balls down the sides.....
My dear husband, Paul surprised me tonite.... we forgot to take a picture of the pool table... and I really wanted to keep the pool balls because all of my children have had their "little" hands all over them when they were growing up... anyway we forgot... but tonite Paul comes home with the balls in a bag and pictures of the basement and pool table.... he bought the new owners a new set ... and drove down there this am early to exchange them :)
I was upset when we left Sunday... it would be the last time I viewed my home where I grew up... I so wanted something to let me know that my daddy and mom were there... you know a sign or something... then when I walked out front I saw these bulbs pushing up out of the cold, frozen soil... and then I heard a tapping on a tree.. my parents always loved their birds... and there was this beautiful pileated woodpecker... tapping on a tree.... thank you Lord for giving me my mom and daddy and for the home they had that was filled with lots of love.....











































































1 comment:

The Mac's House said...

I love that home, it looks so comfy cozy. I also love how the shed out back matches the color of the house, which is my favorite color. May the home be filled with love, laughter and all the blessings a family could wish for.

I know exactly how you feel, lost my father, brother and grandfather all within a 6 month period one year, now my Grandmother is gone (the head of the family) I miss her so much. I still have my mother around and my husbands mother who I have come to understand both of them a bit better as they age, they aren't the easiest of people to be around but with age and understanding I'm finding balance with them.

Glad to see that your husband brought you home a wonderful gift of love.