Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I never talk about my older kids much but I sure do love them...

























I realized that I do not share as much about my older kids... who actually most of them are married or engaged and not around as much. We live just 6 miles from Mary Kate and so we see them often and we love that... I do not have as many pictures of Laura Jeane-who is turning 31 next month, or Jenn who is turning 29 Sat. or Molly who is 26 and her virtual twin Abraham - who is 27 . Abraham makes it in some because he lives with us and our last bio. child is Ben - who is 18 and in college at a local community college for now.

They were what we refer to as our "first" group of kids and they are all now grown... I actually do not feel old enough to have adult children and I can remember when I was there ages.. and it does not seem so long ago.

I loved being a momma from the beginning... Laura Jeane was our first child and was born just after I graduated from college. I loved being pregnant and nursing my babies and enjoyed all the stages they went thru... We wanted lots of children and I was pregnant with Jenn when LJ was still a toddler.... We had Molly soon after. I remember a thread on frua that discussed how easy or difficult it was to go from 1 to 2 or 3 or more kids... I was so overwhelemed with taking the "best" care of LJ and when I was pregnant with Jenn I wondered how do you love another child as much as I loved LJ? How silly but as a mom I think it is very natural. I even remember crying when I went into labor the second time and Iwas tucking LJ in bed...knowing that it was the last time we would be a family of 3 :) Now we are a family of 26.....

When I had Jenn it was hard but somewhat easier than when I just had LJ... when Molly was born I was so much more relaxed about things ... the jump to 3 was easy for us....I had a miscarriage after Molly and we did our adoption of Abraham.... It was a difficult first year for us with Abraham mostly because of his issues and my difficulty bonding with him at times... but we learned so much and even laugh at how we were then.... Then Mary Kate came along and it was very healing to me to have her after my miscarriage and 5 yrs later Ben was born.... We wanted more children but never were able to conceive again and eventually I had a hysterectomy... then a few years later after our fostercare experience we have adopted 18 children in 7 yrs.....

We have changed our parenting some but that is another post... These pictures are of Mary Kate's recent celebration for her 23d birthday. I love how Ava and Gracie helped to make her brownies ( she loves hot brownies with hot fudge and ice cream) ... You can tell they were having a great time.


I love all my older children and wonder at times where did the time go.... Paul and I have felt very blessed and are so proud of them.

1 comment:

Christie M said...

I so understand.... where DID the time go??? Our oldest is 31! We do seem to be raising 2 families and I am the same person I was long ago, with a few tweaks here and there. Mostly, more relaxed. :)
Yesterday something happened and DH looked at me and said, "You know, in 100 years, this won't matter!" Then we both started to laugh. :)

We would love to adopt more.... I do pray that the Lord sees fit to bless us with more. We just don't know when or where. :) We have learned to rest on His timing!