Friday, July 16, 2010

Learning about cystic fibrosis... from Mary











Mary is our summer intern. She actually is more like part of the family. Today she came with all of her meds. and therapy stuff for cystic fibrosis. She and her sister have this. We have known their family for a few years now and have come to love and respect this very close and loving family who love the Lord. When Mary asked me if she could do her internship with our family I was thrilled... Thrilled to have a solid and beautiful sister in Christ around my famiy. She is a humble and sweet sprited young woman who has blessed our home and family this summer.
Today she brought all of her cystic fibrosis "stuff" to help the kids learn about something that is a part of her life. She even brought her percusion vest with her and let the kids try it on. I was as interested as the kids in hearing about her life, her testimony and how she lives with cystic fibrosis... The most amazing part of this afternoon and one that has endeared me to her deeply was her testimony. She lead us to John 9 when Jesus heals the man who was born blind. It begins saying that neither the man nor his parents sinned... but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in the blind man's life. As long as it is day we must do the work of him who sent me. She did not share any animosity or hate towards the Lord for allowing this condtion in her or her sister. She fully believes that the work of God can be displayed in her own life... I must say I agree with her. She carries and always has been a light of encouragement and love to others for the things of the Lord. She has encouragaed all of us to revisit why or how the Lord can use our own testimony of our own lives to encourage others to see the light... Jesus who can change lives and help us overcome whatever we have in our history or past and to live victoriously in the midst of even some dire and life threatening situations.
Thank you Mary for being real with us today... I feel as if the Lord endeared us even more to you and we love your light and honest depth of faith... thank you for being real with us and for the encouragement you bring each day to our family when you walk in....
Some comments from the kids today:
I think she makes the disease look "good" on her. Sometimes she makes it seem like she does not struggle with it . She has a peace about it and her life. She is really open and good about it . That makes us more comfortable about too.
You can see that she is walking with Jesus.... You can see it right away. How she walks with Jesus. How she treats people, by her actions.
She has been alot of encouragement to me.
Mary is fun to be around. She is nice. The sickness she told us about... it was good to learn about it.
She tells us about God alot. She prays with us and plays games with us that help us.
She has a strong faith. She loves kids. She lights up when she talks about her faith.
She is comfortable to be around. She makes you feel safe. She can be funny.
I think that she is a good teacher.
I feel sad that sometimes she has to go to the hospital and all the medicine she takes ( 30 to 40 pills a day).. and we complain about taking one vitamin.
It actually made me think about myself... if my mom and dad had not done all the bad things like drink than I would not have had this opportunity to know about the Lord.
I think with the CF she has there is a purpose for it. The joy she has even with it makes me want to be closer to God.
She makes me think about God's Word and how it applies to me.
She sings alot! How she puts all the Bible verses into song :) I think that is cool.
We love you Mary!

1 comment:

Christie M said...

What a beautiful girl with a beautiful testimony! How nice for her to come and stay with you!

The Lord is good!