Thursday, November 10, 2011

We had to say good bye tonite...and it was tough



This is one of the reasons I love my husband of 35 yrs so much. Paul and I have a deep love for dogs. We always have connected that way...We would help- adopt strays when we were first married. Even one time in college a state trooper brought 2 pups he found and we took them and found homes- one of which was Paul's family. They were days old and we bottle fed them. We have always shared a love for our dogs. They are a part of the family. They live in the house with all the rest of us. I can't tell you how many times my sweet dog has laid their head on my lap when I was upset. I am sure for many of you the feeling is the same for your special pet.

Tonite we had to make the decision to put our Katy down. She was almost 15 yrs old. Which for a dog especially her size is a long life. Even the vet was surprised at her age...Paul said, " Lots of good exercise and plenty of kids to love on her." Her death is especially sad for Paul and I since she is the last remnanat of our first family. We have essentially raised two families...Our original group of kids are grown adults now with their own families...Katy was an integral part of their lives. She has been loved by all 27 of our children and tonite Paul and I had to tell her goodbye. We will miss you Katy girl and thanks for some special memories. Of all the dogs we have had she was without a doubt the most obedient one. She loved to ride in a car and we could take her with us. She would even walk without a leash and listen to us...Always ready to play even in the end.

6 comments:

Christie M said...

I'm sorry. :(

Grandma~rella said...

Oh my gosh...my heart truly weeps for you and your family. Our big boy is nearly eleven, with some health issues...it's so hard to think about what lies ahead. You're all in my thought's and prayers, as your Katy crosses The Rainbow Bridge...

Jennifer Hambrick said...

she was always my favorite =)...and she lived about the best life any dog could hope for.

Kathleen said...

I am so sorry. I know how hard this can be.

Jodi said...

Awe :( I'm so sad to hear this <3 I know what's it like...

I believe you will be together in Heaven one day <3 <3

What a beautiful friend she was to your family.

Einstein's Brain said...

I'm so sorry! I am sure Katy is in Heaven now.