Monday, November 30, 2009

We are doing things a bit diff. this year for our Christmas

I am actually at my daughter, Jenn's house visiting her family for our Christmas... since we won't be able to get together before or during... I decided to make a quick trip down with Mya, Cate,Leah and Isasc. We have a a great visit as always! This year for Christmas we are doing something a bit different... we are trying to encourage being together over gifts. So for each grandchild we are hoping to take them out and let them choose a gift and then we get ice cream or dinner at McDonalds. So I took out Ezra and Ella today and they chose their gifts from Nana and Paw Paw. Now they are 2 and 4 yrs... Jenn decided they could choose to open one now and keep one for Christmas am.. We are also doing this with our kids. They have each gotten a certain amount to pick out or can choose the whole amount ... I have already done stocking gifts and I put the gifts in a big bag, one for each child. It is a holiday bag that hold all of their gifts... instead of wrapping. ( we came up with this idea last year and it went over well)... Since we are traveling in a little over a week and come home Christmas eve this is what we came up with... I think though from what we have seen so far we may keep this tradition. The kids have loved it and it is teaching them about budgeting.... and we spend time doing it together. Paul took the older boys ... they went to dinner and spent the evening picking out their gifts...

We have done Christmas gifts diff. ways but so far I am liking this idea.. also the day of Christmas will be simple. Since we most likely will get home and thru customs... at midnite if the flight is on time keeping things simple sounds best... and just celebrating being together will be the best gift we can give each other..and the best presents will be in our arms.... Gracie and Andrew :)

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

We do something similar and it has been a great idea. We take each of our older boys out for dinner with just us and then shopping for their gifts. For the younger kids, the gifts are still a surprise, but we still do a special meal out with mom and dad. We started doing this when we started adding to our family through foster and adoption. The one-on-one time is what we all really value about doing it this way.

Denise Davis said...

Jeane..
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time in your busy life to email our family :o) You are the angel that has guided us in our adoption to Bulgaria :o)
May God Bless your family :o) And the two new little ones waiting to come home :o)

Denise Davis said...

Jeane..
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time in your busy life to email our family :o) You are the angel that has guided us in our adoption to Bulgaria :o)
May God Bless your family :o) And the two new little ones waiting to come home :o)

Kelly said...

WOW, home on Christmas Eve! I love it. What a joyous day to bring your children into their new life Christian Family!

I can imagine it will be stressful, but what a beautiful way to remember the holiday!

I am so excited for you and can't wait to see them home!

Mike and Gail said...

Can you explain a little more for me. Do you give them a budget to buy someone else a gift or pick something out for themselves?

Last year we did the one bag gift idea. It was great, we got things the kids needed. Then we added their favorite snack and candy. It was a huge hit. I to will do that again this year. :D

mommajeane said...

This year they are buying their own gifts with the money. Usually we draw names and they buy for someone else but to be honest because of our travel dates we do not have time... and the cost of Christmas is making our money tight with the adoption costs. I am surprised at how much the kids are enjoying doing it this way.

mommajeane said...

Denise I look forward to hearing all about it... that is my joy and my heart sings when I hear of another child or two coming home to a loving family.. the Lord does work things out to His glory.. and oh what a priviledge to be included in His plans.

Jodi said...

What a Christmas gift indeed!! Two beautiful children. You are very blessed, I would SO love to be Doncho(Andrew's) mama. He just does something to my heart :)

Jodi Lewandoski

mommajeane said...

How sweet... I know how you feel about someone else's child... I have a few kids in my soul heart as well. Your enthusiasm warms my heart.

Jodi said...

I'm glad you understand! I might be a little 'weirded out' if I were you, but please don't be :) I love so many of the kiddo's on RR and feel a connection to them and think of them daily. We are adopting Hunter, and hoping to travel this month. But back to your boy, those pictures of Doncho could melt anyone's heart!

The Johnson Scoop said...

Share away! I'll take any other ideas you have that includes younger kids in the process.* Congratulations to you! I'll be praying!

*I really wanted to take the girls with us when we went for our second visit to bring our little boy home, but I think it was Jenn who pointed out that we would need one-on-one time with him bonding and adjusting - which was a great point and one I hadn't thought of. I'm toying with the idea of taking them (they are 4 & 5) on the first trip when we meet him...I'm just not sure though - any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?? I feel like you are the adoption guru, and I'll probably be asking you some country specific questions since you have just gone through it all.