Monday, November 23, 2009

Adoption Thoughts from the Silent Partner......







While I have found my life to be average in many ways, tonight is another first.....My first blog entry....and it would figure that the subject that I would blog on first would be my anything but average......my family; particularly the 'grafted in' branches......kids...adopted kids...

This is a bit strange for me....I really don't know who the audience is for this writing....I don't feel like I am addressing it to anybody in particular (which is really weird for me, a person who deals with hundreds of emails and messages each day; all to specific individuals)....but I do feel challenged to share some of my heart for adoption....and while I didn't exactly volunteer to blab on about my feelings (not exactly a strength of mine), I honestly do look forward to what my heart will bear out thru this keyboard.

So November is National Adoption month......it's great to have some special attention....Adoption is a very impacting subject..one filled with great variety of emotions......it is truly deserving of having a month of 'recognition'....It's one of those subjects that almost everybody agrees is a good thing.....but like so many things in life, after the spotlight moves on the subject fades into darkness....too true for so many childrens lives. I find the parallel to Religon very similar.....when people are watching, many wear the religon mask....but it is when nobody is watching that you can tell what is really in someones nature..in their heart....same with adoption....many people wear the mask of 'caring' about children and adoption...but when it comes to 'doing', that is another thing....

Kids.....kids are kids.....yes, Iknow that kids (like adults) too often want what they can't have, more of this and less of that, always want to be someone else, be taller, shorter, diff eyes or hair (especially the tweens and teens), but kids mainly want to be kids.....and kids should be allowed to be kids......kids should get the nurturing, love and attention that are so needed for a full life; from belonging to a family that loves them unconditionally....but this just isn't the case with so many orphans...

It is real joy to me to see kids being kids.....infants discovering everything around them (and learning to control their world at such an early age), toddlers starting to venture out, elementary with an innocence and carefre abandon, teens with all the energy and challenges....young adult kids who can't wait to be on their own, and yet love keeping that path open to your home....every age has different challenges....and opportunities...and to imagine having all of that under one roof; that's the Briggs family/home.......I never really pictured this as my life as I was growing up; but I could never picture any other life but this now....

And that is so cool....people ask why we do it, adopt so many kids.....it isn't a simple answer, yet it really is....we do it cuz we love being around kids....we love helping kids w no chance to have a chance.....we love watching the kids develop (ok, so some days are more fun 'watching' than others)....I can't explain the feeling I get when I look in the rear view mirror and see all those 'lives' buckled in...and making noise of course....I can't explain how I feel when I hear my kids call me daddy....I can't explain how I love to explain things (most of the times...in my patient moods) to my boys; how to paint a wall, how to install a door knob, how to wash a car, how to throw a football...and to be a daddy to my girls; to tease and to be teased....to try and show all my kids that God has a plan for their lives and we are so excited to be a part of it...and excited for them to discover it.

Jeane and I have been blessed with 5 wonderful bio kids...It has been incredible to watch them from birth to where the are now; remembering being full of so much 'unknown' as we started our family...and so much joy now to see where and who they are; all of them.....and our choice to 'refill the empty nest' reflects the core of our relationship; to follow where Christ calls us...We are also so richly blessed to have the 19 adopted kids.....we've been filled over and over with a lot of 'unknown'...but time and time again God has showed himself faithful....we don't adopt because it is easy or just feels good, it is our heart, our calling...I've shared that having all these kids isn't easy in many ways, but when you know you are doing what you are supposed to be doing there is a peace in the midst of all the pressure.
Adoption.....it is a part of true religon that God finds worthy.....and like any parenting it makes you realize your limitations and need for extra strength/patience/grace/mercy/energy that comes from a heavenly source....and for me, the real pull to adopt is to make a difference in life; a childs life..I've been a part of and surrounded by Corporate life; I've had postion and titles and watched many many people around me talk about their investments.......having walked the halls in many orphanages and seen the faces of counltess orphans, I remember them.....and I pray that more of them find families and become former orphans....

Adoption.....just do it.



2 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations on your first post! It was perfect!

I love hearing about your family. I can not imagine... just with my current 7, the noise and activity level... YIKES! :)

It is so wonderful to hear from people who are so joyful about their large and diverse family! Such a great inspiration!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I love you Daddy! Good job =)