Saturday, November 7, 2009

One of our adult children's view about adoption

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Adoption: My Foundation
It is no secret that I have had a unique front row seat of the miracle of adoption within my own family experience.My first adopted sister, Lily, came home to us from Russia when she was only two years old. She is now an abnormally silly 10 year old full of life and laughter and spunk!She loves for me to tell (and retell!) the story of the moment I first met her:I had wondered in my heart and mind if I could really love my new adopted sister and brothers. I had seen pictures. Cute pictures. Cute kids. But would it be the same feeling as I felt for my biological siblings?I was in charge of the rest of the house and younger siblings while my parents were in Russia finalizing the adoption of Lily, Isaac, and Jacob. We would hear updates and read emails during the time they were gone...letting us know how things were going.Finally. The day came. We headed off to the airport to pick up Mom and Dad and our new siblings. I remember sitting at the airport with so many butterflies in my stomach that I thought I might throw up.Finally. The plane landed. Passengers started to trickle in to the waiting terminal.Finally. I saw them. All five of them.I instantly burst into tears.I instantly loved them.Loved. Loved them.I remember taking tiny Jacob's hand (he was so small then and wearing a backpack that was as big as he was!) and walking through the airport holding his hand and being overwhelmed with the feeling of love for him. I remember Isaac (who looked just like Frodo!) staring at me with his big brown eyes. I remember Lily, so little and adorable with her crossed eyes and tumble of dark brown curls.What a moment.A foundational moment that shaped me, my faith, and my views on adoption.

This was on our daughter, Jenn's blog today.... Here is a link to her blog... make sure you read the post under this one about God's provision in their adoption of our next grand babies from Ethiopia . It makes my heart sing to share in this adoption journey with one of our older children who have felt the same love placed in their hearts for adoption.
http://www.thehambrickfamily.blogspot.com/

No comments: