Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Andrew's meals and look at his legs

This was Andrew in December as we were giving him his first bath... and the one with me is in July...Look at how much he has put on weight... He uses his legs now especially in the jolly jumper and you can see muscle developing...

Now on to his eating... He usually eats 7 plus bottles a day now....This is how I prepare them. I used to use the blue Munchkin food grinder ( great when we traveled to pick him up) but now I fix so much food for him . I boil chicken, or beef ( usually 6 at a time of chicken). He gets 1 chicken breast daily or the eqivelent of beef and sometimes I will do a hotdog . Then I add 2 slices of whole wheat bread, graham cracker, bananna,applesauce, pears, peaches, peas, green beans, sweet potato, baked potatoe and or whatever others we have as leftovers...I add 3 fruits and 2 vegatables to each mix I make. I use whole milk as the base ( fat content is important to brain developement) and add cottage cheese and yougart. cottage cheese is so high in protein... and I add 1 egg a day to each batch. I do not change to much from this and we put a vitamin in his first bottle. The pitcher is full and there are 13 bottles made... that will go thru 3 days. He gained 2 plus lbs. in 2 weeks and we will check him in a week or so but he seems to be in a healthy eating cycle... He still does not want anything in his mouth but that is normal for a blind child especially one who was neglected and was not offered the chance to experience textures even with touch or his tongue...He does lots of oral discovering with his tongue and will lick the floors or anything he can... we let him as long as he does not chew , which he has tried to do some.

I can't even express our joy watching him bloom... we are still hoping and praying for lots more but each little change is a huge success to us.




























7 comments:

Pam said...

Wow- that is amazing! Look how much muscle & fat he has put on. You are such a wonderful mom-- I love how you put so much emphasis on meeting each and every one of your children's individual needs!

Amanda said...

That is just amazing! Such a short time too!! That makes me SO happy!! He doesn't even look like the same boy!

Christie M said...

Just look at those adorable little legs! He is really getting some great muscle! That is awesome.

Kathleen said...

Wow! What a wonderful update. Can't wait to see how he continues to bloom in your family.

amyl4 said...

That is wonderful! He is darling and doing so well! Bless his heart!

Jodi said...

He is looking SO much healthier!

I remember seeing those pics for the first time and I just couldn't believe how little he was...

What an angel he is.

Denise said...

wow Its so great to see him blossom!Our son who is legally blind Licked everything in his path.Occupational therapy has solved that issue.He still has texture problems.Your son looks great you are a great mom and are doing a wonderful Job.I am amazed with you and your family.Your son is way much healthier.