Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Andrew's first pediatrician's visit, first ride in a car seat and first trip out

Paul met me at our pediatrician's office for Andrew's check up today since Andrew has so many things we wanted to go over.... I had spoken with our neurologist's office and we have coordinated with our doctor to communicate with him to decide about the seizure medicine... I believe that our doctor thinks like we do that he was given that medicine to calm him and not for seizures... he said it is often given in the US for anxiety ...even given for stage fright for actors... and not used to often for seizures here... this was was very interesting since we were also given medicine to "calm" him... needless to say we have not given him that second medicine because he has not needed it. I have given him the "seizure" medicine because I was told I had to wean him off of it ... this is true and next week we should know how we are going to do that...

Andrew has a strange way that he eats.. besides getting all of his food from a bottle that I have put our regular food into a small food grinder ( electric) and he drinks it from the bottle with the nipple cut bigger. He takes 2 bottles at each feeding and is done with them in 2 to 3 minutes. He will supp on it and then throw the bottle away ( we hold onto it and give it back and he takes it after he swings his head back) . It is very odd and of course he now sits in the high chair. We shared this with the doctor and after seeing the inside of his mouth we will be seeing our cleft doctor at Hopkins as well. I have thought something was different and so we will see. He has a very high palate.. so we will be doing that soon as I call our cleft doctor. We are also going to see about speech therapy and a feeding school. I will let you know exactly what the feeding school is . We already have his opthamologist appt. in Jan. and because Gracie has exotropia, she is going with me that day as well. She has her check up next week...

Our doctor was encouraging and said we were doing everything that he would suggest for Andrew... I will be taking him tomorrow for lab work . So we have a plan and follow up.. I am excited to see what this month will have for our sweetie. He did great even getting his ppd and 3 shots. He is also do for 2 other shots but that will be later. When he came home he was tired and spent some time on the floor with the kids... we put a pillow down for him and today he crawled all the way into the pillow case... we had some friends over to meet the kids... and I pulled him out and he found it again and went in. He loves to be under things... sometimes we will find him crawled under the carpet . He is very silly sometimes.. he loves to laugh and will mimick our laughs. He also loves his bath... lots of giggles and splashing ... it is a sweet sound to hear and to know he is ours forever... to see him loving things and expressing himself is so good to be a part of.

Gracie is very affectionate with us now. She was not in July when we visited her... she will come up to us and ask for us to pick her up, she gives and receives kisses. She went up to our other blind son yesterday and raised her hands for him to pick her up... she did not realize he was blind... it was a cute moment and then she was picked up when Abraham understood what she wanted.... at times it is like she lets her guard down and just relishes the attention. So much positive change in such a short time for both our kiddos makes it all worth it. Tonite one of the kids asked me if I thought Andrew would have lived much longer... to be honest no. He was being starved slowly and the other things done to him have me really boiling inside... actually I am sure I have adoptive post partum depression sort of... I have anger that is deep inside me and I think it starts with what I see my little one had to endure and then I think of all of them and what was done to them... it makes me deeply sad...not really depressed just sad that people can treat a child this way or the ways I have heard my children express or share about. Then it makes it very difficult for me to be around even other christians because to be honest lots of times I just hear church people lament about things that to me are not that important... ( like what to do on New Years Eve or petty family issues) especially when I have seen how most orphans live. I will be forever grateful to the Lord for opening my eyes to the plight of the orphan and giving me an overabundance of love for them... it is like I can see and feel how much the Lord loves them and how much we can do with His help and provision to change the life for a child.....

Andrew is our most delayed and neglected child we have adopted... and it will be hard to help him overcome but please check back with us because I know he will.....I have seen it many times before... tonite my friend reminded me of when she first met Mya... and how pathetic and sickly she was... and in a short time how quickly she changed to a spitfire of health and energy. Andrew is at about a 6 to 8 month level developementally... just remember this and pray for him and us to know and be able to give him the optimum chance to do all that the Lord wants for him. If you have not figured out I love a challenge... and these precious ones have come many times with many challenges.. we even have been told by a doctor you do not want that one... and I said right back you just made me want him more... and she was wrong and our son, Luke was right...and Luke has had to overcome open heart surgery and will need more to replace his damaged aortic valve, he had no palate and a major cleft lip, his leg was attached to his back like an accordian and his other leg was webbed and he had a severe clubfoot... all of these except the second heart surgery have been done... he now walks on his own ( actually runs), talks well and is an extremly brite boy... and do you know what he wants to be when he grows up? A doctor and he could do that.. he is very smart in school. The rest of his body was not "normal" but the parts that really count have made up in compassion, love and his ability to use his brain.... I am excited to see what Andrew will accomplish....Gracie too.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Jeanne, I LOVE your heart. Little Andrew is a blessed as he is a blessing! :)

My heart breaks for him and yet what a fighter! Still smiling, still laughing, still trying... YES, he is a fighter! I think Yana will be similar in development, jsut from her referral it sounds that way!

Tavis referral was very positive, so we will see if it holds true. But she does look healthy in the referral picture. And she has gained 5.5 lbs in the last year to Yanas .5 lbs.

Anyway, I will be praying for Gracie and Andrew! They have a very wonderful family, and a great mama and daddy to lvoe them! Praise God!

wadenest@gmail.com said...

I just want to say a huge AMEN for you and your family...I can't wait to read your posts and rejoice with you when I hear of the rapid accomplishments they are making. I too get frustrated when I see people so spiritually blind to the plight of these children. We are trying to adopt a little girl from our local dcfs but are meeting resistance because we aren't black. So much for the whole "what's best for the child"...she adores us and we her, none of us care! I get so tired of the stumbling blocks, but God is so good and He works in ways that most people never give Him credit for.....I just wanted to say that I am praying for your family...and I am so excited to hear what you are doing and how the Lord is working all things out for you. Stay blessed and rejoice! With our foster kids we've had, we have seen what the power of love will do...they just need a chance! Nichole/Arkansas

Christie M said...

Oh Jeanne, I so understand that deep sadness. :( Sometimes I just can't think about it or it drags me down. I get haunted by the voices, smells, and faces of those left behind. I have a picture of a little girl on my computer that I cry every time I see her. She was shy and needed help with her socks. I helped her and her little eyes were full of sadness, gaunt and withdrawn.... she showed a glimmer of happiness as I helped her with her socks, and then a worker gruffly whisked her away.... not before I got her shy picture. :(

I told Mike, I want to bring her home! But we never found out what happened to her.

I'm so glad that the Lord has provided for you to do this! It is amazing!
I just KNOW as we continue to read that Andrew and Gracie will do nothing but blossom and catch up with their age.
And you know what? Even if they don't.... it doesn't matter, because they are being loved by one amazing mom and dad.... one amazing family, that has the hand of the Lord on them and walks by the Spirit...not by the circumstance!

Jodie said...

God is so much bigger than our problems/difficulties (challenges). Just like your other gifts from God (all of them!), Andrew and Gracie will change other people's lives!
God bless all of you and keep you safe in the New Year!

Jodie said...

God is so much bigger than our difficulties/challenges; Just like with your other Gifts from God, people will be blessed, taught, and ministered to about the love of Christ and his compassion through Andrew and Gracie! Thank you for taking time to share especially with your busy days and nights!
Jodie

Envyshope said...

This is so blessed! I love how inspirational your family is to us! I have learned so much just by reading your posts. May God continue to heal Andrew and strengthen you and your husband!

Chris Haven said...

You brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy these children are home with you and no longer being neglected. Thank you for sharing and I will be following along to see how Andrew and Gracie do. Happy 2010 and blessings from our family to yours.

Jodi said...

So glad to hear how they are doing! I can't even tell you how thankful I am that you went to get them. I can't wait to see how they blossom :)

Jodi