Friday, December 4, 2009

Burdens- positive and negative ones

I read my devotions the other morning... I really was encouraged by it and wanted to share. It was actually a couple of them and I will attempt to put it together in one sort of thought...

There was a story about Jim Elliot, a missionary to a people group of Eucador. God laid an enormous burden on his heart for these people. Shortly afterwards he died a martyrs death at the hand of the Waodani Indians of Ecuador. In 1948, Thanksgiving Day he made a list of the places he felt the Lord leading him, praying that God would give him direction. He was anxious to see the face of Jesus more than any other thing.. he longed for and expected to see Him face to face some day. He also had a deep longing to share this with others and he lost his life serving the Lord in Ecuador. Not many of us can even understand this or let alone walk a walk like he did ... really out there for the Lord.

Now I ask myself what am I burdened about ? What am I anxious for? Do I long to see the face of Jesus am I captivated by the thought of spending eternity with Him? Am I doing all I have been asked to do... until it is my time.

Now many of you can guess one of my burdens is for orphans and especially the special needs ones. It is something I am anxious for or give lots of my life too... How about you? What are you burdened for?

Now there is another type of burden that is a more negative one to carry. It is best illustrated by this story from my devotions.. A prominent believer told a story of his mother, who was a very anxious and troubled Christian. He would often talk with her for hours, trying to convince her of the sinfulness of worrying, but to no avail. She was like the elderly woman who once said that she had suffered a great deal, especially from the troubles that never came.

Then one morning, his mother came to breakfast with a smile adorning her face. He asked her what had happened. She described a dream she had in the night. In her dream, she was walking along a highway with a large crowd of people, all of whom seemed tired and burdened. The people were all carrying little black bundles, and she noticed that more bundles were being dropped along the way by numerous repulsive-looking creatures that seemed quite demonic in nature. As the bundles were dropped, the people stooped down to pick them up and carry them.

Like everyone else in her dream, she also carried her needless load, being weighted down with the devil's bundles. After awhile, she looked up and saw a Man whose face was loving and bright as He moved thru the crowd, comforting the people. Finally he came to her, and she realized it was her Savior. She looked at Him, telling Him how tired she was. He smiled sadly and said, " My dear child,these bundles you carry are not from me, and you have no need of them. They are the devil's burdens, and there are wearing out your life. You need to drop them and simply refuse to touch them with even one of your fingers. Then you will find your path easy, and you will feel as if "I carried you on eagles wings" Exodus 19:4. The Savior touched her hand, and peace and joy quickly filled her soul. As she saw herself in her dream casting her burdens to the ground and ready to throw herself at His feet in joyful, thanksgiving, she suddenly awoke, finding all her worries were gone.

There remains,, then a Sabbath-rest for the people of God. Hebrews 4:9.

These burdens described in her dreams we all carry or have picked up... we all need to have the Savior touch us and we need to throw these burdens at His feet... I pray for you all to be able to experience the peace and joy of walking with the Lord if you aren't all ready.

One burden is a positive kind that motivates us to live fully for the Lord in service to Him... the other sucks the very breathe and life out of us....

3 comments:

Christie M said...

Last night when I was awakened by pain, I went yo the couch to cry quietly and not wake anybody. As I lay there, waiting for the pain medicine to help, I began to pray.
At first it was for myself, and then my heart became quite burdened for those who suffer in prison for Christ all over this world, and they do not have the privelege of advil.
The burdens we have in this life can suck us dry or draw us closer to Him. He brings things into our lives for our good and His glory!
Thanks for sharing your devotions.:)

Hollan said...

Mrs. Briggs,I long one day to adopt a child,because my brother is adopted,and that,because he was he is my brother,and i am glad to call him just that! :)

mommajeane said...

Hey Hollan... that would be wonderful for you to do some day.Are you the same Hollan from our Roanoke days? If so good to hear from you.Happy Holidays!